Monday, May 6, 2013

The Weekend

I now know what sort of pain my husband was in. The first few days of my sickness, passed on from him, were practially nothing more than a slight allergy-type feeling, it's what I get this time of year anyway- sneezing, runny nose, itchy-watery eyes, you know the drill. (Unless you don't, and in that case- consider yourself lucky)

But on Friday night I started having problems breathing, and hardly slept at all. I had pain all over, and when I laid down to rest, my head would start pounding and I would feel as if I was going to "be sick"... Also, I dreaded having to swallow for the fear of the pain. This sore throat was unlike anything I had felt in a while.  Trying to drink burned and stung, trying to talk, my voice would crack. Try to move and my head would start pounding. Miserable. Miserable. Miserable. I caught maybe 5 hours of sleep, in and out- and on Saturday woke up feeling "alright" I spent the better part of the morning in bed, trying to rest, then had a hot shower which helped with the breathing.

Then, I couldn't stay in the house-in the bed- any longer. I wanted to be out doing something, anything but just "relaxing" I was craving soup, and we didn't have any in the house. We also were running low on medication, so my husband agreed to let me go on a little outing. We stopped by Walley World to grab some cough drops (Cherry flavored, because I've been craving cherries lately...) Groceries for the week, including some Progresso Chicken Noodle Soup
And of course, some Vick's Vapor Rub.

With medicine, soup, and groceries in tow, we headed on to Cafe Zupa's in American Fork.


The drive was nice, and I enjoyed it. At Zupa's we shared a sandwich and some soup. My FAVORITE kind of soup, mind you- Wisconsin Cauliflower. Oh... It is so good! Above is a recipe I found if you ever want to make it at home. It's cheaper this way, and it's a very easy recipe to follow. It's also a great way to get picky eaters to have their vegetables-- and eat them too.

After our lunch, we headed out to Old Navy, my ultimate favorite place to buy clothes. I had a giftcard with a little under $10 remaining on it, which I used to buy an everyday shirt, it's a "Vintage" light blue v-neck shirt, and then I bought a nice shirt, or blouse as my parents would call it :) It's a peasant top, quarter length sleeves, some small ruffles and little buttons on top. The blouse is very soft, lightweight, and it's a cream color, with little black vintage keys on it. I tried to find a picture online, but nothing came up. So you will just have to take my word for it! Anyway, with the sale and my giftcard, I made out like a bandit with two new tops.

After that was over, we came back home. I think I had soup for dinner? And we watched some Downton Abbey (Holy smokes...) And I fell asleep. On Sunday, I took another amazing hot shower, which seemed to help. I felt "okay" enough to go to church. I did my hair and make-up, so I didn't look so Halloween-y and then wore my new top (wahoo!) With a plain black skirt and my black heels. Everyone complimented my new look, which is always nice to hear, but especially so when you're sick.

I made it through sacrament, but then I started to feel ill again, so we headed home. Out in the parking lot I fell, although I don't really remember what happened, just that DJ ran over to me and helped me into the car, saying he was really worried. Figuring it was dehydration, I got some water, and rested. I even fell asleep in the middle of the day, which is strange unless I'm not feeling well, and woke up with a headache, and realized it was dinner time. But my wonderful husband told me to continue to rest, and brought up the meal I was going to make (Mashed potatoes, peas, and chicken). The mashed potatoes were a little runny.. bless his heart :) But we laughed about it, and after I ate (in bed, lucky me..) I rested again.

Now that it's Monday, I'm feeling alright, not all the way there, but alright. My head feels a lot better, the sore throat is gone, but I still feel groggy. I made the bed and started with some chores already, but I promised I'd take it easy, so I will be taking some breaks in-between the bed-making, vacuuming, window washing, laundry, dishes, straightening, and organizing. I think I will have DJ pick up a lasagna to pop in the oven for dinner tonight, served with some corn (I love the bags where it steams in the microwave), and even some garlic bread or salad on the side as well, pretty easy for me.

Oh- and I almost forgot- back on Friday, when I was feeling "alright" DJ surprised me by buying tickets for "Iron Man 3" Which, is an AMAZING movie-- I give it 5 stars. Truly one of my favorites, it's a movie I wouldn't mind seeing again in theaters, which is pretty rare for me (Only did that once with Harry Potter) To cut costs, we made it the whole time without any refreshments, which gets a little hard when you're thirsty and everyone around you is loudly sipping down their $5 sodas, in-between stuffing down buttery popcorn. (And, the movie theater head honchos make sure that they waft the smell of the popcorn down the halls and into the the theater so you start to feel left out and hungry and eventually cave. We watched many around us go down that path, But not us, no we stood strong.

And that's our weekend story: Sickness, falling in the church parking lot (still hoping that went unseen), shopping, movies, good food, and each other. I'm so blessed to have DJ in my life, he is so caring and sweet, even when I'm sure I was a bit grumpy. We are looking forward to some fun weekends in the days to come, we have weddings, lunch dates, and of course, our anniversary!

Until next time,

The Mein's