Thursday, May 9, 2013

How To: Write A Sister Missionary

Dearest Readers,

I'm finally starting to feel better! And not only that, I'm feeling pretty good because I got a letter from my dear friend McKenzie Cooper, who is serving an LDS mission in Oklahoma City, Oklahoma. McKenzie is just one of the MANY women in my life who are going forth to teach, and I am ever so proud of them. I also have Sister (Hermana) Canova in Houston, Texas, Sister Lacey Palmer in Santa Clara, California, and soon to be- Sister Rachel Harris in Redlands, California. And those are just the sisters! AMAZING.

Did I mention how proud I am?? Well, I'm going to say it again, because I'm just ecstatic! 


Writing my sister missionaries, and my one brother missionary, my cousin Elder Tanner Jacobsen, has been really fun for me. And I actually get asked a lot about my letters by others who see me writing them. They ask "How did you make your letter so cute??" "What do you say in your letters? I can't get mine to be more than half a page!" "What's appropriate to ask her?"

So, I decided to create this post about how I write my sister missionaries.
But keep in mind that I'm fairly new to this too, so if you have any suggestions, I'd love to hear them!

So first off, I open up a text document in Open Office or Word, and type up "Dear Sister _________" on the top, (centered) I used my new, ever so cute font that I downloaded a while back, if you don't know how to upload a font, and want to do so- Google "How To Install A Font" It's so simple, even I can do it! Once you've got that down, I drag in a cute little picture from online, and color it in.

This one I got from http://melonheadsldsillustrating.blogspot.com/2011/05/missionaries.html

This kind of personal artistic touch isn't necessarily needed, but it's fun, and personable, and the sister's really appreciate it! After that, I print it off on lined paper (college ruled, wide rule... take your pick). oh- but tip: load the paper in upside down, so the image will be on the bottom, and "Dear Sister _____" will be on top. Once you've made one, you can save it, or print out several to use for the future.

1. When to write?
I print out a paper or two, then put it in my scripture bag to take to church- with something hard to write on, (Clipboards work great) some coloring pencils, a pen, a pencil, white-out, and my scriptures. Then, I sit and work on my letters during Sacrament meeting. I have a pretty short attention span with just sitting, I have to do something with my hands (i.e. fold laundry while I watch TV, take notes during class, color in sacrament...) and so on. So, this won't work for everyone who hasn't mastered the multitasking needed. In fact, I usually only get one letter done during sacrament, and I save the rest to do when I get home from church, it makes for a nice Sunday activity. You can also do them at night while doing scripture reading, or saying your prayers, or make it an FHE activity. Bottom line? Do it whenever it works for you!

2. How to write?
I get asked this A LOT. Well, first off, I should say- I'm an English geek. One of my favorite classes in college was British/American Lit. Followed by creative writing, etc.. etc.. I'm an aspiring novelist, I write amateur, unpublished, children's books- I even dabbled in poetry.. So writing for me, isn't really a strain. Once I get started its the stopping that I need help with.
Each letter I write is a little different. I change it up, add something new, include a little gift (we will get to that later..)
However, there is a certain formula I like to start with, and maybe it will help you:

* Be an active listener. 
Being an active listener means you hear what someone says, and then respond back in a way that shows that you heard what they said.
Example: I ask who her companion(s) is/are-specifically, by name(s). Then she tells me, and in letters to come, I always say things like "Hey, so how is Sister Greene doing?" This way, I show that I care! And I do care :)

*Brainstorm. If you can't just bust out a letter, sit and think about what to write before you write it. If its your first letter, ask how the MTC is, ask how the food is (I've heard the Provo MTC cafeteria food is delicious) Ask about what classes they are taking, how the language is coming along (if they are learning one, if not, that might be rude to ask) if they have made any friends there, which- I'm sure they have, it's a pretty safe bet to ask. If its not your first letter, respond to things they have said to you.

*Don't dwell on the good times at home. It's okay to mention an engagement, pregnancy, birth, etc.. But don't make them feel left out, or hurt because they missed it. On the flip side, try not to complain or be  down in your letters.... Uplift, Uplift, Uplift!

* Feel free to ask about their family- I know some people might frown on that, but I think it's a good thing! I know when I'm away from my family it helps to talk about them instead of pretending they don't exist. But I found it's okay to ask about how their parents/siblings are doing, especially if you know the family.

* Ask about the work they are doing. Seriously. Try to refrain from asking "So, how many baptisms have you had?" But instead ask if their is a family or someone they are teaching that seems interested- and so on.

* Share a little about your life, school, work, mention briefly spouses or other friends they know of that are back home.

*Share your own testimony. Share a favorite scripture, or a part of a talk or a quote that you like. I love sharing scripture verses with my missionaries. I remember I was having a hard time and Sister Canova told me to look up a scripture- and I did, and it made me cry it was so wonderful.


3. Give a little gift

Okay, so not everyone can send a care-package, heaven knows I can't- but in my letter, I try to include a picture, a homemade bookmark, a note-card with a scripture or talk written on it all cute and decorated, a page torn out of a Friend/Ensign that you liked, a typed up talk, anything :) Trust me, they appreciate it.


And that is all! You are now ready to send off your missionary letter :)

Best of luck


-Tay