Tuesday, May 28, 2013

Hero's & Guardian Angel's

Dearest Readers,

Monday was Memorial Day, which is a holiday of many parts. First off, Memorial Day is a day of remembrance for the men and women who have died while serving in the United States Armed Forces, and can include honoring those who have served, or are serving to protect our freedom. Memorial Day also a day of remembering all who have passed on from this life. 

                       

However...Memorial Day is often a great excuse for vacations and family BBQ's, and among this excitement for a day off work, and time spent with loved ones, I feel that sometimes the true meaning of the holiday is lost. Now, I'm completely fine with people going on vacations, and having BBQ's with the family. In fact, I love it! But, I do feel the need to keep the true meaning of the day in my heart, and honor the holiday for at least a small part during the day or weekend.

And so on Monday, while we were heading up to our family BBQ, I took a few moments to reflect on Memorial Day, and this is basically what went through my mind:

I am SO beyond grateful to be an American. I know that we have our flaws, and I get that. No government is perfect, and ours certainly isn't. No country is without it's downsides, and we have quite a few. But nonetheless, I've always had great pride in this country, and the principals on which it stands. I realize America's flaws, and celebrate America's successes. I'm proud to call the USA my home.

I also realize that, as an American, I have rights and freedoms that few others can claim title to. But, Our FREEDOM ISN'T FREE. And some men and women have paid for it with their lives. I am beyond touched that people put their lives on the line for my freedom. 

The men and women in the armed forces are Hero's. They are true hero's. Not a swinging from buildings battling underground monsters kind of hero, but a hero that puts their country first, who serves and protects with their life on the line. The ultimate price to pay for the greater good. And as I thought about that, I also felt like I should give a little shout out to the Police Officers and Firefighters out there, who also work to protect and serve the American people.

I have an overwhelming urge to hug and mother-hen all the soldiers out there. I want to thank them, thank them over and over again for their service. And to those fallen, your memories are not lost, and you are still cherished in the hearts and minds of many American's. I thank you, to those who are serving, getting ready to serve, or have served. Words can't begin to describe how wonderful you are. 

And as I think about those who are no longer with us, I turn my attention to those who I have known who are now among the angels in heaven.

My Grandma Peggy Whetton, who would always encourage me in ways I cannot adequately explain. She was a confidence-builder in my young age, she made me feel talented, and beautiful, and wanted. When I sing, I often think of her. When I smile, I think of how she would tell me my smile could light up a room. 
I have many fond memories of my Grandma PJ. 

Memories of Christmas Eve's, and the 4th Of July, memories of sleepovers watching Peter Rabbit, and making my favorite- homemade Mac & Cheese.
Grandma's favorite color was purple. She was an avid bowler and gardener, and the woman could cook ANYTHING and it would taste like heaven. 

My Grandma taught me the importance of being a hard worker. She taught me to laugh through the hard times. She was a little ray of sunshine in this world of ours. And I miss her dearly. She passed away many years ago, after a valiant battle with cancer. 

I also think of my Grandpa Ray, (Raymond Whetton). He and I used to feed the ducks together, a pass-time that I still enjoy to this day. Every time I feed the ducks, I think of Grandpa Ray. I also remember going to his house and playing with these little plastic animals, most notably a giraffe, and lion, which were my favorites. Grandpa Ray was very fond of his only son, my dad Craig. He talked about my dad like he was Superman, (and as far as I'm concerned, he is).

I think also of my Uncle Robby, who was my mom's brother. I really only have one vivid memory of my Uncle Robby, where he was giving me a piggy-back ride. But I know he was a good man, and a good father to his sons. He was taken suddenly in a car accident caused my a drunk-driver. 

And most recently, this past October, my cousin Jesse passed away, following complications derived from a surgery. Jesse and I were best buds growing up together in the 90's. I remember a trip to Lagoon, watching "Godzilla", and playing with his pet turtle. I also remember that Jesse used to tease me like a big brother. I miss his stories and his laughter. 

I'm blessed to have each each of these wonderful people in my life. I love each of them, and I am grateful for what they taught me has shaped me into the woman that I have become. I have had a lot of death in my young life, grandparents, uncles, cousins, friends, and I like to think that all of those people are now my guardian angels. I can feel their presence around me at times. And I KNOW beyond a shadow of a doubt that they are watching over me.


And wiith that, I say GOD BLESS AMERICA.

And God bless all our Guardian Angels.  

Hope you had a safe memorial day weekend.

Until next time,
 -The Mein's