Sunday, May 26, 2013

Follow The Light

Dearest Readers,

I hope you all enjoyed the picture over-load of the past few posts! I'm so happy to have those memories back. I've got to update my scrapbook now with all the pictures my husband was able to save. Can you believe that since we got married, I haven't put any pictures together? That's not like me at all!
Well, I think I pretty much caught you up from our last weekend, so now on to new things!

On Friday DJ and I "publicly" announced our decision to completely uproot ourselves and take a leap of faith (A GINORMOUS HUMONGOUS LEAP)... and move to Salt Lake and get our degrees. Is my husband leaving his seemingly wonderful job to venture out into the unknown? Yes. Do we know this will work out for us? No. Do we know we will both get jobs, and do well in school, and this will all be hunky- dory in the end? No.

But see, DJ and I have never really been the adventurous types. We have tried new things yes, things we regret and things we don't. But NOTHING like this. NOTHING like leaving behind something so sure and safe to go who knows where, in the search to change our lives.

And we are doing this for several reasons, one of which is because we aren't happy with just trying to "get by". We just aren't. I'm sick of job hunting with no success. I'm sick of not having my degree. I'm sick of feeling like I'm not doing anything. I'm not living, I'm just existing. And DJ is sick of not having his degree too. He doesn't want to look back at the end of his life and see all of his regret. And if he stays in a job that he really doesn't like, just because it's there- that's going to be one giant regret.

So, we want to finish college NOW. We don't want to keep putting it off. And as much as my heart goes out in full support of all the "older" students who went to my classes in college, I just can't be old and going to school. I won't know what's hip and "in" anymore, so what if I come in my grandma sweater, and kids laugh at me? what if I can't hear the professor because my hearing aid is acting up? What if I have to go to the bathroom and miss out on half the lecture?

No. This school thing needs to happen now. Before we start a family, before we can't go because of the kids, or money, or we are moving.. etc...

So, we let the proverbial cat out of the bag, and it feels good to let others know of our plans. They have mostly been met with support, which is nice. And it makes it all the more real to us. We even have started looking up classes, and arranging our schedules to be flexible enough to hopefully co-exist with part-time jobs.

Life will be different, that's for sure. But I feel good about this move. I feel that it's right, and I'm happy. Of course, DJ and I can never really know what will happen if we stay here, or if we move. If we finish college, or don't. But we do know someone who does. And so, we have made it our personal goal to go to the temple once a week to seek the answer on what to do.
Big changes are happening in the Mein Family.
And we felt like our Heavenly Father should be apart of it. And to tell you the truth, our temple night with Jaden and Rhiannon on Wednesday of last week was really wonderful, and I look forward to making this temple trip a weekly thing, even after we make our decision.

Other than that, our weekend highlights went like this

Friday: We had dinner, and saw the movie "The Croods" at the dollar-theater here in Spanish Fork. It was actually very funny, and it had a REALLY good moral/catch-phrase:  

Follow The Light

The story, without giving to much away, is really about not being afraid to live your life, and to follow the sun, or the light. It's about just having fun, and letting go, and although some people may not have seen it as being as deep and meaningful as I did, I certainly took that line to heart.
And I decided to make "Follow The Light" my life "theme" if you will.
And this is how I see it:
My religion teaches me to Follow Christ, who is "The Light". And we are supposed to live our lives in trying to be like him. We are supposed to learn, and grow, and be happy in life, through our trials.
Follow The Light. Light is faith, Light is God. And if I live my life "Following The Light" I will have accomplished what I came on earth to do.

Is your mind blown? Because mine is!

Anyway, On Saturday, We went to Salt Lake and DJ took his brother-in-law, who happens to be my super cute brother Trevor, out to a REAL Salt Lake soccer game, while I helped to host a bridal shower for my friend Ashley.

Sunday highlight: Picnic/book reading at home in the afternoon, and writing this post! 

And now we are off to bed, and tomorrow, we will have some Monday adventures: On the agenda, a BBQ with my family, including my dear Aunt Cathy and Uncle David!

Stay safe this holiday weekend, and follow the light!

-The Mein's