Tuesday, August 7, 2012

Things You (Probably) Didn't know about DJ

Dearest Readers,
DJ and I have known each other for a little over 3 years now. Which can either seem like an eternity or a blink of an eye, depending on the day. Now, most days I feel like I've known DJ my whole life. But in reality, I haven't.
I learn new things about my husband everyday. And here are some of the things I've learned about him so far:
1. DJ's full name is *Donald James. I didn't know this until about 6 months after I met him. It never occurred to me that "DJ" was short for something. I still remember asking him if it was and he said yes, and he had me guess what his first name was. I went through all the names I could think of that started with "D". But it wasn't Daniel, Derik, Dylan...finally he gave me a hint, that it was a name of a Disney character. Oh, and yes, I thought he was joking at first.
(*Donald) boy's name. pronounced DAHN-ald. It is of Scottish and Gaelic origin, and the meaning of Donald is "great chief; world mighty". Donald is one of the clan names of  Scotland. Linked nowadays to the cartoon duck created by Disney, real estate tycoon Donald Trump; & singer Donny Osmond.

2. DJ LOVES sports. They have helped him get through a lot of tough times in his life. He plays fantasy football (and rocks, by the way) as well as having a devotion to ESPN. The list of sports that he enjoys includes, but is not limited to: basketball, baseball, football, soccer, tennis, volleyball, golf... and so on. DJ also takes great pride in passing down his love for sports, and is a devoted basketball coach. I have no doubt that if we have sons, DJ will be the kind of dad who is out with them teaching them how to throw a ball, coaching their teams, and no doubt our house will play host to MANY sporting events on TV.

3. DJ has a love for music. When we were at college, he had a radio show, (I used to listen everynight, and one night he asked me on a date over the radio, and I called in to say yes... pretty cute, huh?) He loves classic rock bands, Linkin Park, TSO, and the list goes on. He even plays a little guitar himself.

4. DJ is pretty tall (6'4) and pretty lean. But man, that kid can eat! In college, DJ didn't have a lot of leftover money for food. So he would often go hungry. But  I was a little more fortunate, working two jobs, and also having my mom set me up with some of her own pantry food. So, long story short, I would feed DJ whenever I saw him (My motherly instincts kicked in I suppose). And he wasn't picky, and even though I'm better at cooking now- he still isn't picky. DJ's favorite foods include: pizza, and pasta (most notably Fettuccine Alfredo)

5. DJ is a hard worker, and a great friend and husband. I knew this the moment I met him, but everyday I am reminded of it in some way or another. I am blessed beyond measure to know him. He works a full time job, and still comes home to be the best husband he can be. He is compassionate, caring, and wonderful, and makes me want to be a better person. He hasn't had an easy life, but he takes what he is given and goes with it.

And there you have it. I look forward to getting to know DJ more each day we are together, and growing even more in love with this incredible man that I am blessed to call my husband.